1. First, on receiving your new graphics, if it was received in a shipping tube, allow the graphics to lay flat for 24hrs prior to install.
2. Always apply decals in a clean, dry and warm room, preferably indoors and at room temperature.
3. Clean your bike well prior to install, its far more enjoyable to work on a clean bike. More importantly make sure your bikes bodywork are totally clean and free from all dirt, grease and dust particles. Even the smallest dust particle can show through the surface of your decal( and if you’re like us this will bug the life out of you). Clean, clean and clean again. Preparation is king.
4. Do not rush the install process and allow yourself plenty of quality free-time to apply your graphics, for full kits allow at least a day for a relaxed fitting time.
Decal kits are relatively easy to apply if you prepare and follow the instructions and methods carefully.
Tape all the decal pieces roughly in place so you can understand placement and ensure you understand which piece goes where and that you have all the pieces required. Pay extra attention to parts that need to align up with other parts and make sure margins are equal around the parts.
Read and understand the instructions that came with your decal kit as it may have very specific instructions for some parts of your decal kit
5. Here it basically comes down to which technique you feel most comfortable with. We recommend a dry-mounting procedure on most graphics and to carefully use heat assistance (in the form of a hair dryer or heat-gun but used carefully) to warm up tricky places and with pressure form over parts like curves, angles and edges. be careful not to overheat though.
6. Our preferred method of applying each decal after you have positioned the decal correctly and aligned it in place and it is held firmly with some tape. Carefully peel back approx a third or half of the backing paper and cut away with a pair of scissors ( Very sharp craft knife if you prefer). Once this first part of the backing paper is removed, you can gently press the graphic in place, using either a soft microfibre cloth (MUST BE CLEAN AND LINT FREE). or use a proper squeegee tool ( see our application kit for details )
WET MOUNTING. is another method that Pros’ use, but it takes expertise to achieve the best mix of water to soap, plus all the water / solution must be removed by squeegying the decals surface very weak all over in order to squeeze remaining moisture out from underneath the decal. All the water and moisture must be removed from underneath otherwise the decal may not stick/adhere correctly.
When finished let your graphic kit bed in by not using your bike for a ride, 24hr ideally, this way the adhesives will have time to do their best job and any edges that are not pressed down correctly will settle and find their own position. Remember poorly adhered edges will allow in water and dirt and will overtime create lifting.